January 9, 2012

Declutter With Me on Monday | Week 1

How is the decluttering coming along? Have you enjoyed your first week? I have to be honest and say that like the true procrastinator I am, I waited until today to do everything on the list. Everything. I did create my donation station last Monday, but kind of fell off the wagon after that. Thankfully, the daily tasks are so small, it wasn't hard to catch up. Here is the list of things on the list this week along with what I have done.

Monday: Set up a donation station. Check! Post can be found here.

Tuesday: Declutter the top of your cabinets and dust. Well, I lucked out here. We have soffits above our cabinets, so there was nothing for me to do. I could have done the top of the fridge, but I am guessing that may be on the list further down the road.

Wednesday: Declutter the top shelf of one of your cabinets. Hmm. Which one should I choose? I decided to go with the cabinet that I keep my spices and cooking essentials in. I have everything from rice vinegar to safflower oil to good ol' crisco in here. I like to have everything right by the stove and above my mixer. It makes cooking so easy when it's all in arm's reach.

Thursday: Go through your spices to discard old and expired ones. Again, I lucked out. We moved overseas about 18 months ago and had to buy all of our spices brand new once we arrived. Instead of buying everything at once, I have only bought them as I needed them. To date, my collection isn't too big... or too old. I found about three things to throw out.  Here is a before and after shot of that entire cabinet:



Friday: Put all of your cans together on a can shelf. We don't use a lot of canned food. I do use jarred spaghetti sauce and canned beans. Honestly, I could easily make those things fresh, but that's a different post for a different day. So, here is our shelf of beans and sauces.



Saturday: Go through your freezer and let go of old, freezer burned food. Fairly easy process. I'm weird about old, expired food, so I don't usually have too many things that need to be discarded. I did find a few things to throw out though.



So that is it for week one. How did you do? I know, I didn't have far to go in organizing my cabinets. I have learned some tricks and tips along the way that may help you as well. More on that tomorrow.