August 29, 2014

Facelift Friday | Handmade Stool



I picked up this stool at a local mission for a super great deal. From the looks of the construction and pieces used, I am guessing it was handmade.



The legs of this stool are very unique. I've never seen anything quite like them.



The first step in reviving this gem was giving it a light coat of Miss Mustard Seed's milk paint in typewriter.



Next, I hand painted some simple text on top mimicking a vintage typewriter font I'd found online. I used acrylic paint in gold for this. 


 I found the lettering looking too perfect, so I roughed it up quite a bit using a medium grade sandpaper. I also sanded the complete piece using my electric sander and fine grit paper.


I used Miss Mustard Seed's hemp oil on the entire piece to bring out the natural wood and soften the overall look. I love how that wood grain stands out.


Finally, I completed the piece with one coat of antique wax as well as a single coat of furniture wax. I am pleasantly surprised with how much I ended up liking this piece. I set it up right outside of our laundry room/garage entry and I am thinking it's an excellent place for children to sit and put their shoes on. I also think it would be a great nightstand for an industrial chic bedroom.