January 10, 2012

tips for less clutter

In my many years as a military wife, I have picked up some tips along the way. Many of them have been extremely helpful, but none as essential as this:


I haven't always followed this rule myself. I used to stockpile things. I'm not sure why. I think it had something to do with avoiding the grocery store whenever possible. Truthfully, if you have space to stockpile, I am all for it. Right now, we don't have the space. We also move a LOT. It's just easier to keep a small supply of things on hand. In living this way, I've found it MUCH easier to keep our home picked up and organized.

When I am out shopping or find myself faced with all of those sale emails {you know the ones!}, I stop and ask myself, "Do we really need this?" Most always, the answer is no. I am not saying to stop buying things. I love shopping. I've just come to a place where it no longer makes sense to be so frivolous about it. Buying unnecessarily creates more waste, taxes the environment and builds clutter in my home. I really try to wait until we do need something before I buy it. When that does happen though, I get very excited about it!

In follwing these simple guidelines, we truly do have a place for everything. If you don't have a place for everything in your home, it's probably time to let go of some stuff.