October 8, 2012

The Makings of a Boy's Room | Part 2

Start With the Basics
 
 
No matter your budget or design preferences, there are certain basics one needs in a nursery. These are simply a crib and bedding. Sam's crib is a hand me down. It was used by both of his sisters before him. In my opinion, it's a bit girly. But it works. When choosing a crib or your main piece of furniture, go for something neutral and basic. You will get way more mileage out of  very basic furniture than you would an ornate or novelty piece. Get the best quality of furniture that your budget allows. Accessories can easily {and cheaply} be replaced down the road. Try to never skimp on the big things.
 

After you've decided on a crib, it's time to go for the bedding. The one thing I try to avoid is a crib in a bag set. I know they are economical and yes, they are cute. But I do believe mixing, matching and unexpectedness is what can truly make a room. Creating your own mix of patterns and colors with bedding does not have to be expensive. In fact, it can be quite a frugal choice. Let's be honest with ourselves, will we really use that matching diaper stacker? What about the included valance? Maybe you do, and that is totally cool. But I didn't use either, so it ended up being sort of a waste for me.
 

Choosing coordinating bedding may seem a bit daunting, but it can be totally fun. Once you've decided on a "theme" {see Part 1}, you should have a basic idea of what colors you'd like to incorporate into your room. I used the Texas flag as a starting point. I chose red as a main color, as well as cream. There is a little bit of blue in the room, but not a ton. I really didn't want it to be too matchy. My husband and I scoured the internet for the perfect bedding basics and it was difficult to agree on what we wanted. We finally decided we liked the cow print. We loved the faux suede feel of the accent fabric. It is totally reminiscent of a cowboy lodge. So, naturally, browns and tans are very involved in the room as well.
 
Once you decide on the colors you'd like to use, you can go crazy. Don't be afraid to mix patterns and fabrics. As long as the main colors are included in the patterns you choose, you are good to go. I've mixed red horseshoe patterns, brown cow print, brown checks and a lovely quilt my mother in law made that has all three! It flows quite nicely and feels super cozy and fun.