October 3, 2012

The makings of a boy's room. | Part 1

1 | Choose a Theme
 

When embarking on a new room design, you must start somewhere. First, choose a "theme." Make it meaningful to you. Of course you can just pick something you think is cute, such as elephants or stripes. But trust me when I say this: A room built around memories or items of sentiment will feel much better to you than something you only thought was cute. And while I may eventually grow tired of my Sam's Texas inspired room, it will always tug at my heart strings the way Texas actually does.

 
It is no secret how in love with Texas I am. Before I even knew I was having a boy, I knew I wanted a Texas inspired nursery. Deciding that was easy for me.


2 | Find Inspiration Pieces



When I was barely pregnant, I went to a fabric store with my mother in law in Ohio. While there, I stumbled upon a fabulous charm pack by Moda called "Rawhide." I thought right away this would be a perfect jumping point for my {yet to be confirmed} son's room. I snatched it up and brought it in my suitcase with me as we moved to Germany.




The one thing I knew needed to be in his room was a Texas flag. Although I bought bedding and several accessories before I had my greedy little hands on an actual flag, I knew it was to be the "centerpiece" of his room. I searched high and low online for a vintage Texas flag, but didn't find one I was happy with. Fortunately, my mom found a perfect faux vintage Texas flag while shopping in Boerne, Texas. We received the flag as a baby gift from our family friend and I could not have been happier with it. I love that thing.


Of course, I've been able to find lots of accessories and other decor items that go well with the Texas feel of the room and I will discuss those more in detail this week. The most important thing when starting on a nursery, or any room for that matter, is to make it meaningful to you. Surrounding yourself with things that invoke feelings of joy and happy memories is definitely the key to a warm, beautiful room.