August 8, 2014

Facelift Friday

Giving new life to a mass produced end table.




I recently picked up a run of the mill end table much like this one:


It was super cheap and I'm sure it is hardly solid wood. But everything in this life deserves a second chance, right? I like the idea of rescuing pieces that most wouldn't give another thought to.


For the first coat of paint, I used a homemade chalk paint in an antique white. I wasn't entirely sure the direction I'd be headed with this piece. 



The second and third coats of paint are Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Typewriter. I am in love with the soft charcoal pigment of this paint.


I knew right away I'd want a damask on the top. I found a pretty image at www.thegraphicsfairy.com, but it was a little taller and thinner than I prefered. A simple manipulation in PSE fixed that.  


I painted the damask with a very dark grey latex paint in hopes that it would withstand a heavy amount of sanding. It worked. I sanded quite a bit on the top of the table so the antique white would come through.


The result is a beautiful image that looks as if it has survived many years of love and wear.


 The final step to complete this table was new hardware. An antique bronze cup pull was just perfect.


 The final result is just lovely. I hope you are inspired to breathe new life into something this weekend!