June 23, 2014

Destination: Organization | Week One


When thinking through my upcoming process of organizing our home, I had a hard time deciding where to start. I tried to think about what areas affected our family most. My initial thought was to begin with the kitchen. It seems most of our day is spent there anyway. As the days passed however, I felt myself leaning towards the master bath.

Though it's true the master bath is not used by our entire family, it is the place my husband and I begin our day. The truth of family is that everyone can easily be affected by the emotions of the mom or dad. If one of us is supremely grouchy or frustrated, the negativity seeps out into the entire household. Now, I know having a well organized starting place is not going to guarantee chipper moods, but where else to start but the beginning?

Today's task is moderately easy. GET RID OF THINGS YOU DO NOT USE. I don't care if it's a $65 bottle of hair treatment or a bottle of perfume your great aunt gave to you. If you don't use it, it's a dust collector. I am not saying to throw everything away. Give that hair treatment to your best friend who's always at the beach. Donate the perfume to a women and children's shelter. Keeping things you don't use is selfishly keeping it from someone who could really use it. It's draining you and it's wasting space. You will be amazed how much lighter you feel when you finish this simple step.