January 1, 2012

Simple Christmas Decor

I have to be honest in that since my dad passed away shortly after Christmas in 2005, I have  had very little excitement about the holiday. Of course, this did not bode well with my husband. He, like my dad, holds Christmas above every other holiday. Since 2005, the duties of decorating for Christmas have rested solely on his shoulders. I was fine with that.

Enter Christmas 2011. I don't know what it was this year. I found myself itching to get started on my Christmas design plan.  I cooked up this grand scheme in my head while in Texas this fall. I found myself shopping like mad thinking that when we returned home to Europe, I wouldn't be able to find what I wanted. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything I really liked in the US. Surprisingly, or maybe not, I found so much of what I was looking for here in Europe.

So, what was my plan exactly? I pictured this stunningly simple farmhouse style Christmas. I wanted lots of creamy, off white accessories. I had visions of the most simple stockings in my head. And to top it all off, lots of gifts covered in kraft paper under the tree.

I had my work cut out for me. Not only was I finding it difficult to find the things I desired, I am married to a man of great tradition. He thinks of Christmas and he things of red and green. There may even be a little bit of tartan plaid thrown in there. I was really going to have to pull a fast one on him.

Thankfully, it wasn't too hard to convince him. We agreed I would decorate how I liked and if he hated it, we would change it next year. It was also the first Christmas in a while I was really excited to decorate, so I think he enjoyed that. I am happy to say, {I think, I hope} he loved it! I did have to throw in a few red berries and some green ribbons here and there, but overall, it was a success.

Unfortunately, I didn't get as many pictures as I had hoped. I was so busy enjoying every moment. Here are the few pictures I did get.












There may have been a little bit of an unintentional theme here.